Sunday, July 08, 2007

John Bunny...1863-1915...The first great silent film comedian

Two pictures of John Bunny...The first great comedian in the movies

I remember my grandfather talking about going to see one of Bunny's films when he was a boy. Well My grandfather was a teenager right in that special period of time when movies really took off in 1912-1915. The industry was changing rapidly and the old scenes of watching streetcars going down the street were very much of Edison's early films.
By the time we reached the beginnings of the second decade of the 20th century John Bunny was one of the most famous men in the world. In the United States and in Europe as silent pictures did not have to deal with language barriers. He was the first major star before Charlie Chaplin started his great rise to fame.
Many theaters were made with bunnies in their facade and he was the king till his death in April 1915. His movies were often called Bunnyfinches for many of his movies were made with Flora Finch.
The movie industry grew so fast after his death he became almost forgotten in a short period of time. But I always will remember finding a story about John Bunny in my grandfathers book and asking him about it. I am glad I did.