Monday, July 16, 2012

Christopher Hitchens. (1949 - 2011) A personal hero to me and a fighter against the cruel and sadomasochistic nature of religion.





I have always been an ardent fan of Hitchens. His logic, common sense, and sheer strength of mind was always and continues after his death to be a source of comfort.  His attacks on the evils of religion were always done with facts, common sense, and a touch of good humor.

 I found I liked him more than Richard Dawkins, who is of a similar ilk. This is not saying I do not like Dawkings, which I do. But I found that while Hitchens was more of a street brawler, Dawkins is more of the quiet and somewhat condescending type to those he opposes rather than fight with them. Hitchens I found always ready to fight on and take on the nonsense that was condemning him. very different types of people.

He wanted to fight against all things he saw a tyranny, be it political or religious. In doing so he gained a liking by those who wished to think and not just follow.  That is so important!  Free thinking is such an important thing. Sadly in these United States were are dealing with about a 65% religious base that does not want to really think at all. They want to be told what to think and do, even if they do not think they are. They are really living their lives to please God, who ever she is. If God exists she is a woman, not a man.

 As for Hitchens he lived far too short a time. Sixty two years is not too long. I know, I can see it coming up on the horizon myself very soon. But what is most important about him was the fact that he made the most of those years and influenced many, including this writer.

Thank you for all of your good work Mr. Hitchens.  Freeing and fighting with us. To protect all  from the horrors of religion and its cruel and sadomasochistic doctrines.

One more time, Thank you sir!