Sunday, July 29, 2012

The great comedians ....what an empty world it is with out them.





Today we have comedians and it is a rather pathetic lot. Sadly not funny, lacking talent, finding that saying F#ck is funny, and using anything to hide their lack of talent. It is sad and I feel for the younger people who will never enjoy good comedy.

 I have seen how bad it can be.

 I cry for today's world who will never get to laugh at great humor and balls to the wall humor. Not afraid of being politically correct, cause is that not what humor is all about? Touching areas that we cannot, but with clever and talented comedy.

 If you cannot laugh at yourself or anyone else why live?


  One can only think of the genius of Charlie Chaplin. Writer, performer, producer, director, composer, actor, designer, and lastly innovator. Think of Stan Laurel, who was a dancer, writer, actor, comedian, and dean to many who wished to learn the craft. Dick Van Dyke did the eulogy for Laurel, and said that the creator gave clowns long life, and made the people laugh. He was gentleman above it all. Oliver Hardy known as Babe to his friend was above all a great man and comedian.

Jack Benny was a idol to this writer, I lived and breathed Jack Benny. I learned through him and watching him about comedy. Hell, no one could walk like Benny.  I can see it when it is good and know right away when it is bad. George Burns made me laugh to tears so often.  Burns and Benny are burned into my memory as a kid. I guess I was spoiled to have such talent around.

 On TV today we have god knows what who call themselves comedians.  We are sadly without those greats today and what an empty vacuum it is.  These were the ones who could make you laugh or cry. The truth is that most comedians had a very hard life. They came from abuse and hardship. Through that pain they found their humor.

I just listened to Charlie Chaplin's song  "Smile"   I cried like a baby, I am sure so many people do when they hear it. It is the song of the comedian..That through it all you make the people laugh, even if your world is crashing down around you.

It would be something for most modern comedians to even try..Cause I am sorry to say most of them could not fill the boots of the greats that preceded them. I am always cheered to see people like Pat Cooper or Don Rickles who still do humor and are not scared to offend or to be not in popular culture. I wanted to share that song with you...as it shows the true heart of a comedian. Who is always a little sad and has pain. That pain becomes the humor and joy that millions cherish.   Smile...


Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky

You'll get by if you smile
With your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
You'll get by

If you smile
Through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile


That is the true heart of a comedian....I remember watching Chaplin get a special Oscar in 1972...There was not a dry eye anywhere as Smile played to the house and to the world.

I wish today's world could be privileged to enjoy just a little of what I did.